As you deep dive further into the Yoga world, you come across words like Chakras (the energy channels), Kundali, the subtle body. At first, you might feel avoiding so much information. However, if you show a little interest and try to search more, you will be amazed to find how powerful and strong we as humans are.
So, what are Chakras?
Chakra is a Sanskrit word which means wheel or a disk.
There are seven spinning wheels, inside all of us. They are aligned parallel to the spine, starting from the base of the spine to the crown of our head. Each chakra has certain qualities and associations.
A brief on 7 Chakras.
1. Muladhara Chakra
- It is the first chakra and is the root to our foundation and our most basic fundamental self.This chakra is located at the base of the spine.The first chakra is usually about survival needs like food, shelter, money. It also deals with emotions like belonging, feeling grounded, safe, and accepted.
- It is said that if this chakra is malfunctioning, the basic common result is obesity. Through this chakra we tend to understand ourseleves and try to heal ourselves.
- Eating is the activity associated with this chakra. A well functioning chakra helps us to grow and attain good health.
- The element of this chakra is Earth.
2. Svadhisthana Chakra
- The meaning of this Chakra is sweetness.
- The location of this chakra is above the pubic bone and below the navel.
- The element of this chakra is water. The inner state is tears.
- Malfunctions of this chakra include bladder or kidney trouble.
- This chakra focuses on emotions, sexuality, creativity, desire.It is said that socializing is also a function of this chakra.
3. Manipura Chakra
- Manipura means “lusterous gem.”
- The third chakra governs our self-esteem, personal power, power of transformation.
- Located in the area of the navel to the solar plexus.
- The verb associated with this is “I do”. This is something that governs our will power.
- Fire is the element associated with this Chakra.
- Malfunctioning of this chakra can result in the problems like ulcers, diabetes, hypoglycemia.
4. Anahata Chakra
- The fourth Chakra is located in the heart. The Chakra is the source of love.
- The verb for this Chakra is “I Love”.
- Air is the element associated with this Chakra.
- Malfunctioning can result in physical problems such as asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease and lung disease.
5. Vishuddha Chakra
- The meaning of Vishuddha is purification.
- It focuses on speaking our highest truth.
- Space is the element associated with this Chakra.
- It is located at the area of the throat.
- The verb associated with this Chakra is “I speak”
- Malfunctioning of this Chakra can result in sore throat, thyroid, cold, hearing problems
6. Ajna Chakra
- The meaning of this word Ajna : To know, to perceive, to command
- It is located at the head or just above the third eye level ( between our eyebrows)
- The element associated with this is mind.
- The verb associated with this Chakra is “I see”.
- Malfunction can result in blindness, headaches,blurred vision, eye strain.
7. Sahasrara Chakra
- This chakra is the source of enlightenment.
- This is located at the crown of our head.
- The element associated with this chakra is cosmic energy.
- Its function is to understand and the to cause the state “bliss”.
- Verb associated with this is “I understand”
- Malfunctioning can result in depression, alienation, confusion, boredom.
Any physical issue with our body can be because of malfunction of Chakras. Understanding about chakras can result in our better physical health.
What do I recommend?
For better understanding of Chakras, I recommend Anodea Judith’s Wheels of Life.
The main focus of Wheels of Life is an in-depth examination of each chakra.Other topics look at the chakras as a group so you can see how they interact. You will learn how chakras function in relationships.
In this book, you will learn what each chakra can do for you and how you can clear it, balance it, and strengthen it to help you achieve optimum health, improved spirituality, and strengthening of psychic powers.
This book is perfect for a beginner to understand the chakras and to look deeper into the issues of health both physical and emotional.