It is always recommended to practice Yoga under a supervision of a teacher. However there can be multitude reasons due to which you may not be able to join a Yoga class. In such circumstances, make your Yoga home practice more enjoyable by following below simple tips.
- Choose a convenient time for practice : The best advantage of practicing Yoga at home is that you are the master of your time. You don’t have to adjust with the timings of the Yoga centres/class. Choose a timing which suits you. If you are not able to practice during morning then do it before lunch or during evening time.
- Choose a comfortable place for practice : Any practice of asana or meditation or pranayama should be done in a quiet room. While practicing Yoga asana, keep focus on your breath also. Practicing in a quiet room will help to concentrate better and you will be more focused on your body. In case, this is not possible then make sure the place where you are practicing is clean, well ventilated and away from furniture or objects.
- Choose comfortable Yoga wear : Even if you are practicing at home, you should choose comfortable wear for practice. Tight pants, jeans, baggy T-shirt will hamper your movement. Avoid silk and use cotton material clothes. This will keep you comfortable while you sweat during asana. You can check out more on this – here.
- Decide the asanas beforehand : When you are at home, it may be very easy to get distracted. After few Surya Namsakars you may feel like giving up. Remember you are your sole motivator at home. Before stepping on to the mat, decide how many times and what asana you are going to focus on that day. Don’t be too ambitious, keep list short in the beginning and once you comfortable add more asanas to the list. Every day make sure to keep the commitment of finishing the list you have made.
- Be consistent : Don’t let your laziness or excuses run over your practice. As the famous Asthanga Guru Shri K. Pattabhi Jois said, “Practice, practice…all is coming”. It is always encouraged to practice for 20 minutes daily than performing 2 hours of exercise/asana on inconsistent basis.
- Always try simple Pranayama or Meditation : You have may just thought for doing a simple Yoga home practice with few asana. However try to introduce some breathing exercise and 5 minutes meditation after closing your session. You will realize that these two things will keep you mentally heathy and stable.
Finally keep everything simple, don’t exert yourself or hurt yourself and stop when it hurts. You may read more on the precautions here.
Keep Practicing.Happy Yoga home Practice.