Save money term was never in my lexicon.I was never money smart. I never cared where I was spending my hard earned money. I would buy whatever would please my eyes. I wont bargain (really!!!). For me the expensive things are the quality things.Save money or anything like this would be the last thing someone would hear from me.
However over the years, my perception for money has changed a lot.I now understand what is this marketing stuff that goes out for a product to ring a bell in customer’s ears. Thankfully, I can now analyze most of their tactics. I will say I have become a little money smart.
Ways to save money
It goes without saying that money save is money earned. I have some tips which I follow to save the penny:
- Iron your clothes a day in advance: How many times have you spent an additional hour in front of TV or spend wondering what to do when you are getting bored? Hey! Why don’t you iron your clothes for next day in 5 minutes. Well! If you are in metro with a demanding job then you can always give to the next door ironwaala. But remember in some cities charges have gone up from 2 Rs to now 6 Rs per clothes. If you do it on your own, you could end up saving enough to buy a smartphone within a year or a health insurance plan for the extra money conscious ones.
- Develop more skills to earn more. Why would anyone pay you higher? The skills that you have are vastly available in market. So, get to know the latest technologies or skills in demand and build skills in it. I have signed up for analytical courses as I see that those will be in demand in future. Keep learning and updating your resume.
- Buy Straightening and curlers for specials occasion and save on parlors. I generally used to go for straightening my hair. But the cost Rs.12,000 is a major turn off. So I decided to purchase curlers and straightener which comes for a price of Rs.2000. Always get it of a good brand. Apart using it on special occasion or parties, if you have time in your hand, you can try a new style to office
- Do your own pedicure and manicure : Every night before going to bed, wash your hands and feet with hot water – soap and then apply rosewater cum glycerin lotion. With this care you don’t need any more cures (pedi/mani) 🙂
- Exercise and try to fit in your old but good clothes. After pregnancy I didn’t buy new clothes. While reducing weight , I purchased cheap kurtas . After an year, I could fit in all my jeans and trousers. (P.S: Now I have regained my old weight, so I have setting up my new wardrobe but intelligently)
- Learn salon procedures @home : Even face massage can be done at home : Learn the type of skin you have and then search online for different ways to do facial . There are always and easy way which you can use. I have also purchased a streamer (very commonly found in pharmacist stores) which I occasionally use.
- Turn to Ayurveda for your queries : I believe before trying those harsh creams , one should look for natural remedies.
- Exercise: Health and Life Insurances are really critical but whatever age you are, it never hurts to exercise.
- Save your telephone bills: Avoid making unnecessary phone calls. These days use WhatsApp, Skype and other ways to talk.
- Watch your purchases: Don’t buy too expensive phones. You can buy a Smart phone with necessary function sufficient for you. It is not advisable to spend Rs.55000 on a phone.With the technology changing so fast, you will soon find your new purchase obsolete.
- Save on fare: Try to use local commute rather than driving every time to office. It saves the fuel and also give time to you to relax a little.
- Keep checking your company policies may be they might be reimbursing your fuel express.Claim your medical , LTA bills .Don’t skip them considering them as too low to claim.
- You can save money on electricity, fuel if you use them wisely. Try to switch off the lights and fans that are running unnecessary. Do you always need your car to go to nearby shop . Try to avoid vehicle and walk . It will always have a positive effect in you and also on your wallet.
- Don’t buy everything that fascinates you : Yes, this is a best way to save money.Let your brain think when you go to shop . I have made mistakes of buying unnecessary ear dangles, cheap sandals, and scarfs just because they were sold at very low cost. I hardly remember where I have put them afterwards and they are just junk lying in my home. It’s always better to buy less but of good quality.
- Compare per kg price before purchasing: So ,they say it’s discounted. And you put in your trolley without comparing same items from other brand. Always check per kg price of something before buying. Companies pay shelf price to the store for keeping their items in the front so that they can catch the eyes of customers. Be sure, you are not losing on the items which are not in front but of great price and quality.
However, I always emphasis on upgrading your skills, be it a course which is more popular in market or converting your hobby into a profession. An alternate avenue of making money is always a welcome .
Once you have some money handy with you, you can decide on where to invest and make it grow.