I really love that many of the Yoga poses are named after animals. Camel Pose, Cat pose, downward dog pose, eagle pose and cobra pose. Well, ancient Yogis had learned a lot from nature and its surrounding. Hence many of their poses or acts rotate around the posture of animals.
Camel Pose is one of the interesting poses. It is an intermediate level pose and beginners may find it little difficult to perform. However beginners can look for variations in this pose.
Camel pose falls into category of backbend pose and helps in providing flexibility to the spine.
What does Sanskrit name Ustrasana mean?
Ustra means Camel . Asana means posture or pose. You can check this cool article which explains from where Camel Pose has got its name. For some the backbend resembles the camel hump. While, for others, it is how camel sits , first by bending its knees and then folding beneath of its body.
Note: Difficulty Level increases from 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest.
How to perform Camel Pose or Ustrasana?
- Kneel on the yoga mat and place both of your hands on the hips.
- Keep your knees at the same distance as your hips and keep your legs parallel to each other.
- Inhale and try to bring your chest upward and simultaneously lower the arms a little so that your body bends backward.
- Now place the palms on the feet.
- You can also, slowly put one hand first on the heel, followed by the second one.
- You can stay in this position for 10-15 seconds.
- Exhale and come back to the initial position by bringing releasing one hand at a time.
- If you are a beginner you can place a cushion or a blanket below your knees or under the ankles.
What are the benefits of the Camel Pose or Ustrasana?
- Camel Pose or Ustrasana is a great stretching exercise.
- It stretches and opens the front part of the body esp the chest.
- It helps to provide strength to the back and shoulders.
- It stimulates the respiratory and circulatory systems.
- It helps overcome the menstrual discomfort.
- You will observe increase in the flexibility of spine with regular practice of this asana.
Precautions to be followed during Camel Pose or Ustrasana?
Pregnant ladies should not practice this asana
People having injury in neck or undergone spinal surgery should also avoid this asana
People with high or low blood pressure should also avoid this asana.
You can follow up Camel Pose with Bridge Pose
Always remember to practice what seems to be possible.Never try to exert or force any asana.
Keep Practicing everything else will follow.