Many people might be unaware of the advantages of sleeping on the left side of the bed. For some it doesn’t matter until it is a good sleep. I too agree with the same. However we might get some advantages and better results if we sleep on our left side.
Here are some of the most discussed benefits of sleeping on the left side.
- Relieves Heartburn : For people who eat a lot of spicy food, sleeping on your left side helps.It relieves heartburn and improves the digestion too. When you sleep on the left side, the gravity forces the your stomach acid into the pit of your stomach rather than sending it back to the esophagus (the food pipe).
- Helps in preventing Snoring : It is said that if you sleep on the left side, your tongue and the throat muscles are placed in a neutral position. This helps in preventing snoring.
- Sleeping on the left side is useful during pregnancy : Sleeping during pregnancy especially during second and third trimesters is always an issue. You should avoid sleeping on your back or on stomach. Sleeping on the stomach will be most uncomfortable considering the expanding belly. Also, when you sleep on the back, you might find it hard to breathe.Sleeping on the left improves circulation, helps in providing placenta nutrient-packed blood to nourish your baby. You can sleep on either of the side, however left is recommended to be the best one.
- Even Ayurveda recommends to sleep on the left side:“The left side of the body is the dominant lymphatic side. The majority of the body’s lymph fluid drains into the thoracic duct, located on the left side. Along the way, lymph fluid carrying proteins, glucose and other metabolites and waste products is purified by lymph nodes and is then drained into the left side of the heart.Because of this, it is common in Ayurveda to deduce that left side ailments may be due to chronic lymphatic congestion. When the lymphatic system congests, it is more likely that lymph will back up on the left, more lymph-dominant side of the body. Whether or not this is always true is debatable, but you can see the logic at play here.” – Source
- Other benefits : Sleeping on the left side improves the blood circulation, better waste elimination,helps bile flow more freely.
Next time you go for a heavy spicy meal and feel quite unconformable while sleeping, switch to your left side. It will definitely help you to get a good night sleep.