Even simple asanas like Staff Pose or Dandasna , Tadasana can have a multiple of benefits. These are some really simple but powerful asanas for all age group. For people who feel too intimidated by complex yoga postures, can try out Staff Pose.
What is Staff Pose or Dandasan
Dand means Stick
Asana means Pose
Dandasana or the Staff Pose teaches us the correct method of sitting.
Note: Difficulty Level increases from 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest.
Here your upper body part or the torso should be erect and the lower body part should be grounded.
All the asanas which are done in Sitting position start with Dandasan.
How to perform Staff Pose or Dandasan
- Sit on the floor, extend your legs in-front of you. You can also sit on some blanket to make your torso upright and vertical.You can also sit with your back against the wall.
- Press the sitting bones on the floor and draw your thighs to the floor.
- Flexing your feet, press out through your heels.Keep your big toes,inner heels and inner knees together.
- Keep your palms on the floor adjacent to the floor. In case, your palms can’t touch the floor, you can
use the fingers.
- Make sure to keep your weight evenly distributed across both sit bones.
- Lift your chest and broaden across your collar bones and then your shoulders.Try to sit tall through out the pose.
- Hold this position for a minute. In case you are a beginner, you can hold it for 30 seconds and then slowly extend to a minute.
Benefits of Staff Pose or Dandasan
- It strengthens all major core muscles.
- It improves your back muscles.
- It stretches the spine.
- It provides a mild stretch to the hamstring.
- It improves the posture
- It stretches the chest and the shoulders.
- It calms the nervous system and relieves sciatic pain.
Precautions to be followed while doing Staff Pose or Dandasan
- People having lower back injury should avoid doing this pose.
- People having wrist injury should avoid this asana.
You can practice this pose while watching tv or even while reading. By consistent practice of this asana, you will gain postural awareness. Remember posture is the positioning of the entire body at any given time. We are always in some form of posture, can be static or dynamic. A good posture will bring grace and balance in your life.