If you search for the meaning of self-love, google will reply::
regard for one’s own well-being and happiness.
Even though, one’s own well being and happiness depend on this one magical and simple thing, majority of us fail to love ourselves. We become our greatest critics, often indulging in negative self talks.
When I feel very low (i.e my body feels sick and my emotions hurt me), the best way to jump back to my old energetic self (if not energetic then normal self) is to give myself abundant self-love.
There are various ways by which one can practice self-love. The ways or methods are not difficult. The only challenging thing is Practice. Keep practising until it becomes a habit of yours to love yourself.
Ways to self-love
- Always appreciate yourself : When you look at yourself in the mirror, don’t just browse through your physical appearance. Give compliments to yourself, appreciate how lovely you look today and smile at yourself.
- Don’t compare: You are unique, the way you look, how you act, what you think are all different from others and so are your situations. Don’t compare yourself with anyone.Remember every one has their own struggle (even the most successful people).Hence be satisfy and try to enhance your own life.
- Don’t think of past mistakes, heart breaks : Let bygones be bygones.
“Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” -Steve Maraboli
- Caring for yourself by buying clothes that make you feel good : Clothes can change one’s mood. Wearing something that you love will always make feel you happy.It is one of the best ways of self-love.
- No Negative talks : Try to re-frame your talks in a positive way, when you feel or become aware that you are criticizing yourself. Instead of saying, I am failure and dumboo…say “At-least I tried and stepped out of my comfort zone. “
- Choose yourself and your thoughts : We all have a power to make a choice (to react or not). Our choices play an important part in our life.
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
- J.K. Rowling,
And same goes for our reaction to any action.You can shout aloud at your child for spilling the glass of milk or simply clean it and asking him to be careful next time.It is your choice.
Same way, when you face any negative situation, step back and look at that situation in more rational way. Let your emotions not overpower your rationale. Choose yourself to be a strong. It is the greatest act of self-love you can give to yourself.
- Take rest, care for yourself : This is especially for my women folks. You care for everyone and this leaves you tired. Take a break and take time for yourself. Go to spa, take massage, sleep more. This self-love process is really rewarding and will rejuvenate you.
You can take some more tips from here.
Let’s talk: Do you practice self-love? What are the ways you try to do and how it helps you?