It is really interesting to find many Yoga poses named after animals. Cat pose, downward dog pose, eagle pose and cobra pose. Well, ancient Yogis had learned a lot from nature and its surrounding. Hence many of their poses or acts rotate around the posture of animals.
Cobra pose is one of the interesting poses. It is very easy to perform and has multiple benefits. Cobra pose or Bhujangasana is one of the asanas performed in Sun Salutation or Surya Namaskar.
Cobra pose falls into category of backbend pose and helps in providing flexibility to the spine.
What does Sanskrit name Bhujangasana mean?
Bhujang means Cobra or Snake. Asana means posture or pose. This asana has got its name from the posture snake makes while raising its hood.
Difficulty Level: 1
Note: Difficulty Level increases from 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest.
How to perform Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana ?
Image Credit: http://"Bhujangasana Yoga-Asana Nina-Mel" by Kennguru - Own work. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bhujangasana_Yoga-Asana_Nina-Mel.jpg#/media/File:Bhujangasana_Yoga-Asana_Nina-Mel.jpg
- Lie on your stomach (face down),your toes should be flat touching the floor and your chin touching the ground
- Make sure your legs are close together and heels and feet should be touching each other
- Now place your palms near to your shoulders, close to your body
- Inhale and slowly lift your head, then chest and finally abdomen while keeping navel on the floor
- Pull your torso backwards and try to use mostly in your back to lift you.
- Now tilt your chin upwards and lift your chest towards the ceiling.
- If possible, you can straighten your hands.
- Try to hold the pose for five full breaths if possible.
- Otherwise do as much you can or release the pose and bring back your head, chest and abdomen.
What are the benefits of the Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Cobra pose tones the abdomen
- It strengthens the spine
- It strengthens the muscles of shoulders, chests and abdomen.
- It strengthens the entire back and the shoulders.
- It improves the blood circulation
- One of the best asana to reduce stress.
Precautions to be followed during Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Pregnant ladies should not practice this asana
People having injury in wrist or undergone spinal surgery should also avoid this asana
People having Carpel Tunnel Syndrome should avoid this asana.